Sunday, April 27, 2008

work is not all sugar coated

so i have often had the most loveliest of patients who love and adore me and appreciate everything i do for them. we work well together and the communication is easy. this past week was so not the case. i had three difficult patients this week that made it for a very long and stressful week. i think it is good experience though for me to learn how to separate my emotions from my job in the way that i need to. i need to not take things personally. as i do realize that the difficulty of us working together is not related to me personally, but just the way they are. it is so hard to try and convince patients that I AM HERE FOR YOU! and I WANT TO HELP YOU! it is so hard when they fight you and appear annoyed at you. i am used to appreciation and respect. but working with such a diverse group you are bound to cross all types, and that means the very difficult and disrespectful and irritable people imaginable. ok, well, here's hoping for a better week!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi lauren! i just checked your blog for the first time in a while, it's so nice to see what you've been up to. I found that I relate to a lot of what you've been experiencing, most recently with this post (even though it was from a while ago). I just started working in a long-term acute rehab hospital, it's been about 2 months now...and I came home today thinking very similar things as you wrote. It's very hard, especially when you invest a lot of time, effort and care into a patient's well-being, and then you find them not listening to your advice/following what you've spent hours teaching them. It is very hard, but what's been helping me recently is the reminder that you can only do so much..as the saying goes..'you can bring a horse to water, but can't make it drink.."

I miss you so much, I hope everything's going well. Would you ever want to make a trip up to portsmouth NH? you're welcome anytime!